Thursday, May 10, 2012

Stitcher's Square Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this 10" Stitcher's Square block in Judy Martin's Ultimate Book of Quilt Block Patterns
     In this diary entry, Hattie is frustrated with not having a way to earn her own money for new clothes.  Mother (her step-mother since her Mamma died three years earlier) offers to help her rework an outfit to wear to a wedding.  
    
Monday, October 9, 1916 -
"Oh, dear!  I'm so desperately tired of not having any money of my own.  I don't know what to do.  Here, I want some new clothes before the wedding, but Papa still insists that he can't let me get anymore now, and, of course, I am called to account for every penny I do spend.  I'd be willing to do most anything to be independent.  I have prayed over the matter and trusted in the Lord, but it doesn't seem to do any good.  I don't see light any clearer than ever. 

"Oh!  I'm so tired.  I really have worked hard today, and now it is eleven o'clock, and I feel so terrible.  It's so hard to have faith that everything will come out all right.  But I'm going to bed with the hopes at least that tomorrow will be brighter."

Tuesday, October 10, 1916 -
"I do feel considerably more cheerful tonight.  Mother and I planned this evening to fix up my old yellow chiffon tomorrow.  I know it's late in the day, yet I think we can do it for Mother certainly is a dear about helping me.  We were so busy today that we didn't have a moment's time.  We were ironing, and Mother was making tomato pickle all morning.  Then this afternoon we went to town as I had to go to the dentist.  Papa shipped cattle tonight so, of course, that meant a little extra flying around." 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/05/royal-star-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. Is the wedding she is speaking of her own, to your grandfather? I don't think I read anything about "Frank asking her hand" in marriage or her father's permission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother's frustration at her dependence and need for independence is both heartbreaking and inspiring. It makes me sad that she could not go to college like she wanted do. This makes me more grateful for the rights and privileges we all have today. I love your wonderful tribute to her in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes you appreaciate what we have today.Especially having inside plumbing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!