Sunday, April 28, 2013

Winter Is Wanting to Linger But Spring Is on Its Way


A Patch of Old Snow

There's a patch of old snow in a corner
     That I should have guessed
Was a blow-away paper the rain
Had brought to rest.

It is speckled with grime as if
     Small print overspread it,
The news of a day I've forgotten -
     if I ever read it.

Robert Frost

Old Snowflake Quilt Block



Buds

When all the other leaves are gone
The brown oak leaves still linger on,
Their branches obstinately lifted
To frozen wind and snow deep-drifted.

But when the winter is well passed
The brown oak leaves drop down at last,
To let the little buds appear
No larger than a mouse's ear.

Elizabeth Coatsworth

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here

4 comments:

  1. Thank for the poems, and the snowflake block. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the promise in the bud
    That heartens you today,
    Burst in glad and joyous bloom
    Along tomorrow's way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is very sunny and bright,
    No coat is needed - what a delight!
    With snow on the way, 8-10" is the bet;
    I'm not putting away the jacket just yet!

    Welcome to spring in the Rocky Mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that snowflake quilt block. We have finally been seeing sunshine here, and warmer temps. No chill again until mid week :(

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!