Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunlight and Shadows Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this 8" Sunlight and Shadows block free on-line:  http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SunlightandShadowsBlock.html.  I reduced the 12" pattern down to 8" finished.
     In these diary entries, Hattie is in Emporia, Kansas visiting high school friends.  She graduated from Emporia HIgh School in 1914. 

Tuesday, June 13, 1916 -
"When we awoke about seven o'clock, it was cloudy and thundering.  At breakfast it began to rain, so Fern said since I had to be back so soon, she believed they had better take me before the rain raised the creek again.  We armed ourselves with raincoats, caps, and two rubber lap robes, and when the heavy shower abated a little, we started out.  For the first half-mile it wasn't so bad, but suddenly a strong east wind came up, and I never saw it rain any harder.  As we turned east, the rain came in a blinding sheet right into the buggy, and our waterproof protection seemed to be of no avail.  I was soaked below my knees, for I was sitting on Fern's lap.  About the time we reached town, the storm ceased, and the sun was shining by the time we reached Haynes'.  I think it was terrible that we couldn't foresee for about a half hour.  Then we would have been saved all that ride in the storm.  I bade Fern and Lucien goodbye and changed my entire wardrobe as soon as I got up to Hen's room.  Then we dressed and went out to college for Class Day.  We were too late to see all of the Seniors' stunt, but it was very interesting and clever.  The Sophomores had their eats in the dorm basement, and everything tasted so good

"After this was over, we assembled in the gym for the underclassmen and alumnae stunts.  The Sophs were especially clever with their 'movie' enacting college life.  The Freshmen minstrels were good, too." 

Wednesday, June 14, 1916 -
"Well, it seems good to get home again, for I am just a little tired from so much going.  But I was surprised to hear that there had been a very bad flood during my absence.  The water was all over the road and barn lot, garden, and corrals Sunday.  Although it has gone down now, there is still the evil effects."

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog entry:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/01/friendship-quilt-block.html

4 comments:

  1. I can just picture the scene ... and that is a lovely block to go with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I've been following you on FB Patchwork & Quilting group. I love the pairing of a diary with the quilt blocks. Perfect blend of past & present. Since your blog is Starwood, I thought you may like to follow our local quilt show, Upper Midwest Woodcarvers & Quilt Expo on FB. It's the only show I've found to combine woodcarving and quilting. Expo dates are Aug. 17-19, 2012 in Blue Earth, MN. Posts will gear up as the date nears.
    Best Wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, thank you for your kind comment. I will follow your local quilt show. That sounds very interesting to combine woodcarving and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been following your blog and love the sections of the diary being linked to the block. As soon as I finished the quilt that I an working on I plan to start the Farmers quilt block. Hopefully this will push me to get this first quilt finished faster as I an only doing about 4-5 blocks a day and there are 40. Then it can go to the frame to be quilted with regular batting. It is a trapunto quilt from one of Elenora Burns. Tennessee Waltz is the name and I have working of and on for 4 years.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!