Saturday, February 8, 2014

Mountain Peak Quilt Block and The Simple Woman's Daybook

Mountain Peak Quilt Block Pattern Source
 
I am joining up today with The Simple Woman's Daybook.
 
The Simple Woman's Daybook for February 8, 2014

Outside my window . . . there's snow on the ground from recent snowfalls.  It was bitterly cold here this week, and I ended up with two snow days from school.  One day some of the buses refused to start because it had dropped down to -22 degrees F with a wind chill factor of -38 degrees F!  That is extremely rare for us.  Fortunately, it got up to the 40's today.   

I am thankful . . . for a warm home, good books to read, and quilts to sew. 

In the kitchen . . . Creamed Eggs and Asparagus on Toast - easy to make, warm, and filling. 

I am hearing (and watching) . . . the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia on T.V.  One of my students is there with his father, so I'm anxious to hear about his experiences there. 

I am creating . . . a Once Upon a Time storytelling quilt for my grandson as part of my Persian Pickles quilting group.  I'm joining the blocks together now, which is exciting. 

I am going . . .  to my quilting group get-together and parent-teacher conferences later this month. 
 
I am reading . . . Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini for the Quilters' Book Club and The History of Love by Nicole Krauss for my local book club.  I'm reading Little House on the Prairie as part of the Reading to Know Classic Book Club.  I'm participating in the 10th Anniversary Adult Reading Program in my local library district - 8 books in 8 weeks.  I've participated every year and have the mugs to prove it!   

I am hoping . . . that my students continue to grow in their reading skills and become lifelong readers.   
 
I am looking forward to . . . getting together with my sisters to watch Call the Midwives Season 2.  We watched the first season together at the beginning of January and had such fun together.  I've already bought some special tea for us.
 
I am remembering . . . getting to visit via Face Time with my 9-month-old grandson earlier today.  He's gotten his first tooth and is very close to crawling.  So fun to see!
 
Around the house . . . I have organized and rearranged my tutoring materials.  It feels so good to open the door and see it all neat and organized! 
 
I am pondering . . . how to make a grocery cart cover for my grandson.  I have the fabric.  I just need to choose the best tutorial to make it. 
 
One of my favorite things . . . is watching my grandson grow and change.  It's amazing how much he's learned in his short life.

A few plans for the rest of the week . . .  going to church tomorrow, proctoring the state reading test for my third grade students, getting together with the Praying Mamas, meeting with my book club.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post February Redwork Snowman and Valentine Food for Thought.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to know what you call creamed eggs. My family makes and eats what we call creamed eggs. Never heard anyone else making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard boiled eggs and asparagus in a cream sauce made of butter, flour, and milk. I sometimes add cheese to the sauce. Is that like your recipe?

      Delete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!