Wednesday, February 5, 2014

February Redwork Little Birdies and Quick and Easy Lasagna

February Redwork Little Birdies Pattern Information

"Life, like a coin, always has two sides.  If I turn the February coin over, I find that we have had time for many pleasant things while the weather was bad.  Trying out a new recipe which is one of the fancy, time-consuming ones, for example.  Or re-reading a favorite book which we already practically know by heart.  Or writing leisurely letters to friends." 

                             Gladys Taber
 
On a snow day from teaching school last week, I made Nona's Spaghetti Sauce.  I let it simmer over four hours and ended up with 9 quarts of sauce.  It was fun to have a day to fix a time-consuming recipe. 
 
 
I used one of the jars of spaghetti sauce to make lasagna.  This recipe is quick and easy, so you have plenty of time to re-read that favorite book or write leisurely letters to friends!
 
Quick and Easy Lasagna

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Soak 10 uncooked lasagna noodles in hot water in the sink.
3.  While the noodles are soaking, brown 1 pound of hamburger in a 3-quart saucepan until no pink remains.  Drain excess grease.  Add a 32-ounce jar of chunky-style spaghetti sauce and 1/2 cup water to the browned hamburger.  Stir until mixed. *
4.  In a bowl, combine two beaten eggs, 2 cups cottage cheese, and ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese.  Stir until mixed.
5.  Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with Pam to prevent sticking.  In the dish layer:
  1-1/2 cups sauce
  5 noodles
  ½ of the cottage cheese mixture
  2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  1-1/2 cups sauce
  5 noodles
  ½ of the cottage cheese mixture
  Remaining sauce
6.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.  Uncover and top with 2 cups mozzarella cheese.  Bake 15 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Make sure all the noodles are covered well with the cheese mixture and the meat mixture so they won’t be hard. 

*If your spaghetti sauce already has meat in it, you do not need to add any extra meat.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Linoleum Quilt Block and Nona's Spaghetti Sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I'm A Gladys fan! I found Mrs. Daffodil when I was a teenager, then read all off her books that my library had, Grew up and one day found another book at a flea market. Kept looking and continued to find more. Then I got internet! I have a nice collection now. Pretty much all but her early fiction (they're pricy) Luckily, my new local library has many, including most of those pricy ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!