Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My House Quilt - Polka Dot Tree Block


This is a block from my House Block Bee Quilt.  I participated in an on-line bee with eleven other quilters.  We were each assigned a month by our queen bee.  Before the first of my assigned month, I mailed out fabrics to the others to be used to make a house block for me.  I purchased the blue fabric for the sky and the green fabric for the grass.  I sent each person a couple of owls and a couple of children to be included in their block.  Then I looked through my stash and included scraps to be used for houses, trees, etc.  Each quilter could also add their own fabric, if they wished.

Now, there are risks to being in an on-line bee.  Other quilters may not be as skilled as you are.  There is a chance that someone will keep your fabric and not return a finished block to you.  But on the flip side, you will undoubtedly receive blocks with details you would never, ever think of yourself.  I love the added green rickrack above the grass, the cheerful yellow sun, the girls and owl peeking out the windows, and especially the dog in his doghouse.  I would never think to use the polka dot fabric for the tree, but it adds such a touch of whimsy to the block.  I admire the creativity of my other bee members and am so pleased with each block.

After I received all of the blocks, I sashed each one in a cheerful yellow and quilted with straight lines, using a quilt as you go method.  I finished with a blue border and green binding.  This quilt now hangs in my classroom and brightens it considerably, making it an inviting place to read and learn.


This recipe is from my mother.  It's a good recipe to take to a potluck at school. 
 
Orange-Avocado Toss
1.  Combine the following ingredients in a large salad bowl:
     1 medium head lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
     1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
     1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and sliced
     1 (1 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
2.  In a screw-top jar, combine ingredients for salad dressing:
     ½ teaspoon grated orange peel
     ¼ cup orange juice
     ½ cup salad oil
     2 tablespoons sugar
     2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
     1 tablespoon lemon juice
     ¼ teaspoon salt
3.  Cover the jar tightly and shake dressing ingredients well.
4.  Just before serving, pour dressing over salad.  Toss lightly.

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2013/01/theme-of-friendship-in-persian-pickle.html       

7 comments:

  1. That is another cute idea. I would love anything with an owl on it ... in fact, it might be hard to send back to its owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful quilt!! the colors really brighten up a space!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet quilt, I really like the way you have the owl and kids in the windows! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an awesome quilt! You got a great balance of ideas, too - regular houses, a church house, a school house, a tree house - all marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!