Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Bright Hopes Quilt Block


This 12" Bright Hopes quilt block is the 14th block of my Starwood Sampler Quilt, made as a block of the month with my quilting group, the Persian Pickles.  A friend and I chose the blocks for this quilt, and this is the very first block we made. 

The block looks like it requires set-in seams, but partial seams are used instead - which are much easier!  Excellent directions and a pattern are found free on-line at:  http://quilting.about.com/od/piecingtechniques/ss/partial_seams.htmI alternated blocks set straight with blocks set on point.  This blue block with a yellow center is set straight with the gold and red sashing.  Note the extra detailing my wonderful long-armer did in the center of this block.

The Bright Hopes block was first published by Farm Journal Magazine and is a
traditional quilt block that refers to a phrase in a well-known hymn, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness," written in 1923.  Verse three ends:  "Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.  Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!  Great is Thy faithfulness."  I think this is the perfect block for my first blog post of 2013!
 

You might also enjoy my previous blog post:

1 comment:

  1. I agree it is a great way to begin the year! May all those bright hopes come to fruition in your tomorrows.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!