Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fourth of July Quilt Block

    
     I found the pattern for this Fourth of July quilt block in Judy Martin's Ultimate Book of Quilt Block Patterns.  I reduced the pattern from 14" down to 7" finished. 
     In this diary entry, Hattie is celebrating the 4th of July with Frank George, her future husband (and my future grandfather).  Betty and Fannie are Frank's sisters, and Bobby is his youngest brother.  Miss (Ada) Sullivan later marries Frank's brother Russell.  Ruth Jones later marries Wayne Traylor, and the couple are life-long friends of my grandparents. 

Tuesday, July 4, 1916 -
"I am writing this Wednesday because it was 20 minutes until one when I came in this morning, so I thought I might just as well wait until later in the day.

"But I did have the best time!  Beginning with early in the morning, I'll relate:  We had a fine breakfast - raspberries, baked potatoes, etc., and it was accompanied by small reports from the kids' firecrackers.  Soon after breakfast, Mrs. Abbott and I went to town and got some ice and the mail.  It was nice going but began to get pretty warm by the time we came home about nine.  Then I made the ice cream and busied around until dinner time.  We had the usual Fourth of July spread - fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, tomatoes (sliced), cucumbers, jelly, preserves, cake, ice cream, and ice tea.

"Frank came just as we were finishing about 12:45.  He ate some ice cream, and then we were off.  It was certainly warm and dusty.  But while we were listening to the speaker, Reverend Hatfield, a cool breeze blew around.  Then we went to the ball game, and here we got in a pretty warm place but enjoyed the game nevertheless.  After Key West had won over Prairie Queen, Frank went to take Mr. Hatfield to the train, so I was with Betty and Miss Sullivan awhile . . . We rode up town and found Ruth and Wayne and Glen and Lela, and as we were invited over to Ruth's for supper, Ruth and Lela climbed into the back seat with Fannie and Gwilym and we all went over to Jones'.  We were sure glad to get some of the dust from our countenances, and Mrs. Jones and Ruth had a fine lunch for us.  Mrs. George and Betty and Bobby were also there. . . As Frank and I and Fannie and Gwilym were going to Burlington for a home talent play, we left there about 7:30.  The ride to Burlington was grand as it had become much cooler.  We reached there about 8:30 and went immediately to Newk's Theatre where the play began in about ten minutes.  It was fine, and there were some real clever stunts between acts.  

"We went to some drug store and had something to eat and started home about 10:30.  It seemed like a terribly long ride, although we came along at a pretty good rate, but I was just naturally tired.  But I sure had a good time every minute - much better than if I had gone with Howell!"

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
 http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/02/hatties-choice-quilt-block.html

4 comments:

  1. Love your grandmother's entries!! I feel like I'm experiencing it with her!! I am so glad that you are sharing this priceless treasure for others (like me) to read!!! The block is wonderful!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh it sounds like someone is falling in love!!!! how great you have this!!! i really love this block too. what a great quilt you are going to have

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely blog with such fun entries and quilting ideas. I am adding you to my blog reader. Thank you!

    Do you know about Hazel's Diary? It is a similar project combining a diary and blogging. Shelly hosts it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!