|Bear Tracks Quilt Block Pattern Information|
"The next year, he (James) used a breaking plow hitched to a pony and an oxen and worked for Mr. Condell to pay for the use of them. He made posts and used smooth wire to fence his land. He later bought two oxen. The grass was shoulder high. His land was next to Elm Creek, with running water and shade. On week-ends, he walked to Burlingame and back to get supplies (fifteen miles one way). He bought lumber in Burlingame to build a one-room house east of where the present house is. Mr. Condell and Mr. Cunningham were kind to James and took care of him when he was ill with ague. It was a form of malaria, with chills and fever. It came on regularly each afternoon, so he could only work in the mornings.
"There was only one house between his place and Emporia. It was the Phillips rock house. It was a stage rest stop and inn between Emporia and Burlingame, a distance of thirty miles. There were many Indians near his land, but they gave no trouble. They camped in the timber south of his house and came begging. He would dig a hole in the ground to hide his meat and other foods they wanted, so they couldn't find it. In 1868, the government rounded up the Indians in that timber and sent them to a reservations in Oklahoma. Some wandered back and stayed around."
|James and Caroline Lynch Wedding Photo|
March 3, 1880