|Broken Sugar Bowl Quilt Block|
In honor of Dr Pepper drinking Mary Dell, member Kathy sent us a recipe for Dr Pepper Peanut Brittle that she adapted from the recipe found on the Homesick Texan blog.
Dr Pepper Peanut Brittle
1-1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup Dr Pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups roasted and salted peanuts, shelled
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, butter, Dr Pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, and peanuts. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
3. When temperature reaches 290 degrees on a candy thermometer, remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Mixture will foam up and double in size.
4. Using a silicone spatula, thinly spread mixture on parchment-covered baking sheet.
5. Allow to cool and harden. Break into pieces.
Did you know that Dr Pepper does not have a period after Dr? If you want more Dr Pepper recipes, there is a free, online cookbook called Cooking with Dr Pepper and 7Up.
Will you be joining us in September to read The Goodbye Quilt by Susan Wiggs? Inquiring minds want to know!